Saturday, February 15, 2014

Take 2

I am trying this again. I wanted to reflect on who Ron is now and struggled through my words last evening---then the page was stuck in the saving mode, and most of my entry was lost. Depressing.
Ron seems to be at a plateau in his recovery. I don't mean to sound like I've lost hope, but I don't feel like he is going to be able to recover further on a physical or mental level. GVHD is wicked, and again he is walking the tightrope between medications and his immune system attacking his body. To keep the immune system so repressed that it doesn't attack yourself there is no immunity for other invaders. So that is covered by numerous types of antibiotics, anti viral, and antifungal medication. Ron's steroids (prednisone) was tapered two weeks ago from 20 to 15 mg daily. He also has an infusion of steroids during each of our visits to AA for Photopheresis light therapy treatments.
Ron walks with a cane, exerts a lot of energy to get up steps, and is very fatigued after any physical activity. He sleeps 10-15 hours a day and is most bothered by the itching and skin changes on his back. He takes atarax and oxycodone to control the discomfort, and we apply sarna lotion several times a day. He cannot take Tylenol because it affects his liver.
Since the last taper, I had noticed some skin changes which the ECP nurse also noticed, so she felt the PA should see him. Now he is also using a steroid cream on a new area of outbreak, but nothing else was changed, and hopefully with the accumulative effect of the treatments and steroid infusion, it will be controlled. If not, his prednisone will be increased in two weeks. The tightrope.
Ron's persona is very different than before the transplant. He truly doesn't seem to comprehend the changes, or the oddities in his behavior. In many ways he is still Ron; he is still my valentine.

8 comments:

  1. I know how difficult it is to see the changes in them when there is nothing we can do but continue to care for & love them. I'm sure you see occasional glimmers of the old Ron but it is hard. As things continue to change try to remember we are all with you in prayer & spirit. Love & hugs, Ann & Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ann. Because the behavioral changes have been gradual since the more abrupt changes last summer, I can adjust as needed and no longer be caught by surprise...usually. He goes through phases dwelling on various things. He doesn't read books any more and does not anticipate watching our favorite shows on TV like he used to. The exception is sports. He tries to follow various sports, but gets confused with the schedule and often sleeps through a game he had looked forward to watching. Today he has slept through U of M and Michigan State games. Oh, well, they both lost their games at home.
    His long term memory is good and we do a lot of "remember when..."
    Thanks for keeping in touch; I know that you understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Ron is watching the Olympics ! .My wife thought it was safe to let me go to Austria to the 76 winter Olympics as long as Ron went with me. I convinced Ron to go with me on a little jaunt to the southern border of the FRG So off we go and we find out that my license is not valid!( something an S1 pays attention to) Too late we we going any way! Made it in to a race that was outdoors. I am sure there was no mechanical cooling as it was all outside and the stands were wood bleachers. Bach beer was flowing as so were the Swedes from the top row. Things were simpler back then. We even made it back across the border with out incident. GOOD TIME!

    HOWJA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish there was something I could do to make this easy for you. Just know that you and Ron are in my thoughts and prayers. Chip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Guys.
    Niccole and her Gramma went on a tour in 1988 during our second PCS to Germany (Heidelberg). We have a picture of Niccole sitting in the Olympic Rings. I am going to ask Ron for details of that trip. Beware. His long term memory is amazing at times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanking of you & "Doc" and visiting your blog daily. Thank you Jan for the updates. Dane & Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan,
    Sending you and Ron some hugs and sweet thoughts. You are reaching deep and doing your best. We wish comfort for Ron and some peace for you.
    Hutch and Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jan, I don't know how many halos you have earned, but you definitely deserve them!! You truly are an amazing woman and wife and mother! You and Ron are in my prayers. Much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete