Saturday, December 28, 2013

One Card Done!!

I have organized my New Year cards; now I just need to get hopping! I addressed one, then realized that I couldn't mail them tomorrow, so that was enough of an excuse to stop. I am feeling like my brain has cleared at least partially! The last six weeks were stressful, and I didn't do anything that I didn't want to...if that makes sense.
I have started to read a book, so that is a good measure of feeling better. Ron is gaining strength, so it is not such a worry about him falling. He still has quirky behavior that is child-like at times. Yesterday he wanted to get a fish in a round bowl, so now we have fish and also walkie talkies. He also bought a clock radio that has so many functions that we can't even get the time set!! Cale, I need you!!!
I am putting away some of the holiday decorations and other things setting out that we don't actually use. I felt like that would help settle my mind, and it has. As much as the holiday events are enjoyable, collectively it can be overwhelming even in its modified form. Now I can better handle all that I need to be responsible for as a caregiver. At the same time, I wouldn't change anything that we were able to do for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Ron might seem very much the same when carrying on a conversation with him. His long term memory is good, but he continues to lose many things daily and has some confusion. He has always given me cards for all holidays and special days like the first and last days of school. For our anniversary this year the card was "for the both of you", and my Halloween card was for "baby's first Halloween". Although he did order gifts for me by phone, he did not have Christmas or birthday cards for me. This is an example of change in thought process. There are so many little changes in behaviors that others would not notice. He does not usually seem to be aware of this but has asked why he can't do most things that involve numbers. He gets frustrated with clumsiness and forgetfulness at times. Today when we went to town for our newspaper, he turned to me and said that they only had yesterday's newspapers. He was positive that it was Sunday. As you can see, these changes are mostly harmless although I am really tired of looking for hearing aids!
Physically, Ron's lungs continue to be congested, but his meds to treat bacteria, virus, and fungal infection control symptoms except coughing. This is a long-term treatment. His immunity is so compromised by the steroids that he must take to control his chronic graft versus host disease. GVHD. Hopefully, the resumption of phtopheresis treatments every other week will permit the steroids to be tapered.
So this is probably my last 2013 entry in Ron's blog. Again I am hopeful that next year will be better in regard to Ron's health. That is a real possibility.
Love,
Ron & Jan

3 comments:

  1. Even as things have changed I'm sure you can see that in many ways the old Ron is still there. Cherish every moment & have a blessed New Year! No new baby yet? Maybe she'll be a New Years baby��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilian Grace Hover is due January 18. Abby was 15 days early, so maybe Lily will be early too…and maybe the first new year baby. Lisa is doing great but is uncomfortable at times. I remember that during the last month of pregnancy…especially with Andy and Cale who were born on their due date!
    Ron is definitely a combination of the old Ron and the new Ron. As I told Matt, we still laugh every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, anonymous, that is just plain eerie; Lily IS a New Years Baby!!

    ReplyDelete