Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Forever 68

Yesterday was Ron's birthday or the "anniversary of his birth" as a dear friend said. I am in the process of choosing furniture from the villa to take to my auction at Gilead Lake on September 20, so I was emptying Ron's desk here in BG. I found the above writings in his desk. The sunflower card was ready to mail but never sent; I think that I found it on the perfect day. It was signed, "Love, Blue & Ron". So Ron continues to make me laugh, even on the day before his birthday which was a very weepy day for me. My door to door move from Gilead occurred on Saturday, so I had been very busy with getting ready for it, and then Saturday was a long, busy day with the actual move. Sunday arrived, and I had time to think about the many changes in my life, how much I miss Ron, and I was anticipating Monday, Labor Day, which was Ron's birthday. Weepy. As has happened before, the anticipation of a special day for us was much more emotional than the day itself. The blue card was the writing on a card that I had given Ron in 2010 when he was first diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia. The card had a small heart-shaped metal medallion that was engraved "forever". He kept that heart on his roll top desk which was moved to BG Saturday; now I have the heart on my kitchen windowsill. I didn't know that he had kept the card and brought it to BG and put it in his desk here in 2014. Ron was a sentimental man and did many things to make me feel special. He sent cards from one home to the other, like the sunflower card, so I would have a note from him when we went back and forth. During the almost 2 years after we retired to Michigan and before he was sick, he planned surprise overnight trips for us to explore Michigan. I only knew the days and what I should pack.
The picture of Ron was taken in 2004 when he was 56 years old. I am remembering his healthy years and trying to put them ahead of the memories of the cruelty of leukemia and graft vs host disease after his transplant. Yet I am so thankful for those extra years we had in spite of the challenges. I miss you Ron.

3 comments:

  1. In case the print on the sunflower card is too small for you to read, it says:
    "If a big-ass flower doesn't brighten your day, then I am out of ideas."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I checked the blog so I could read what you shared from your heart and soul. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nancy. My heart literally does hurt at times. I am willing to pay this price for having had the life I shared with Ron.
    Love, Jan

    ReplyDelete