Thursday, April 5, 2012

Heartland Health Care Center: April 3-4

I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be to communicate with everyone if we didn't have the IPad. I am grateful for it everyday. We have a Verizon 5-spot for our wifi service. The hospital and Heartland both have in-house wifi, but our own Verizon works consistently better. It is about the size of a hand-warmer so very easy to carry with us.
My sister, Anne, and George came to Ann Arbor to bring our mail from home, so they stayed to help move Ron to Heartland. It seemed overwhelming to both of us, and I felt like I was was moving him into a nursing home. I had to ask to have a review of meds from the nurse and also requested to talk to the director of this unit because I had many questions, and they did not initiate any "orientation" but have responded very quickly when I request something, so that has just been part of the learning curve. Now today at the top of my agenda is to make sure that the meds are totally correct in every way. I can assume that responsibility if there are any issues. I plan to stay all day, maybe going out for short periods of time, and I am not allowed to spend the night. I feel so much better about this place than yesterday when he first got here.
Ron is not in a private room, so I have started to look into that possibility. It is a nice family with the roomie. Coincidentally, their son who is here has sons named Joey and Jack...much older though than our Joey and Jack.
Ron's mailing address will continue to be our apartment address:
1455 Oak Valley Drive. Apt. 103
Ann Arbor, MI. 48108

3 comments:

  1. I know this is difficult to have him there, but try to take some time for yourself each day and get away if possible. Your not being there at night will be difficult for you but hopefully you can get some rest and will be more refreshed and able to help him during the day. You are both in our prayers. Love & Hugs and oh yes...Rock Chalk Jayhawk:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most painful Buckeye basketball loss ever for me! Next week I plan to leave during the day when he is down for physical therapy. It has felt good to sleep in a bed again!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete